AT&T Film Awards 2018
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Thank you to everyone who entered the AT&T Film Awards!
Eager to show the world your talent? We have the competition for you.
The AT&T Film Awards is an open competition seeking imaginative, undiscovered short films from aspiring creators who want their voices heard. We are supporting and rewarding excellence in filmmaking with $60,000 in cash prizes, exposure, and a chance to take home the coveted AT&T Film Awards trophy.
The 5th Edition of the competition will shine the light on emerging creators from across the U.S., including special categories for underrepresented voices, youth creators ages 13-18, and awards for filmmakers utilizing innovative filmmaking tech including films shot on mobile, and VR/AR/MR projects.
The submission period closed on Dec. 7, 2018. We will be announcing the winners during the week of January 21st. Best of luck to everyone who entered!
CATEGORIES & PRIZES
EMERGING FILMMAKER AWARDS
We are seeking inspiring and creative short films from aspiring filmmakers - up to 10 minutes, all genres, from emerging filmmakers across the U.S.
First Place - $10,000 USD, 2nd Place - $3,000 USD, 3rd Place - $2,000 USD
UNDERREPRESENTED FILMMAKER AWARD
We are awarding $5,000 to encourage the growth and development of creators from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds. Eligible creators include people with disabilities, LGBTQ, women, and people of color. Awarded to the best short film, up to 10 minutes, across all genres.
Winner - $5,000 USD
YOUTH FILMMAKER AWARDS
Do you have a passion for storytelling and creating short films? We are seeking short films from middle and high school students, ages 13-18. Your mission is to create a short film using a mobile device (shot on smartphones, tablets and drones)—between 2-5 minutes, addressing one of the following themes:
- Create a video to inspire your peers to care for the environment.
- Create a video highlighting the importance of positivity and kindness in a world where many youth face bullying.
- Create a video to remind peers to not drive distracted.
Winners are selected primarily based on the originality and promise of their vision – storytellers with all levels of experience are encouraged to enter. Entries are judged based on:
- Originality of message
- Written description of vision for the film (up to 500 word description)
Entry & Video Requirements:
- A one page or less description of your vision for your film
- 2 min. - 5 min. length video submission, filmed exclusively on mobile (smartphone, tablet or drone)
- Top three filmmakers will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the opening weekend of the Tribeca Film Festival. On this all-expenses paid trip, winners will receive training from Fresh Films as they work together to create content about their Tribeca experience.
- The three finalists will receive a 'Trip Prize' that includes round trip coach airfare from a major commercial airport for the finalist plus one parent/guardian (value $1,100), three nights of hotel accommodations (one double room for each finalist and one parent) (value $900), baggage allowance (up to $50 per person) and ground transportation (value $125) to and from the NY airport, and meal allowances of $600. Total trip prize value $2,825.
This category is sponsored by AT&T Aspire. AT&T Aspire is investing in innovative education organizations, tools and solutions to make a positive impact on education, and is committed to supporting the next generation of media makers and content creators.
BEST SPANISH LANGUAGE SHORT
We are awarding a prize package valued at $20,000 to the top Spanish language short film from a student -a current undergraduate (i.e. 4-year or 2-year program), graduate, doctoral or postdoctoral student enrolled in an accredited college or university. Film must be less than 10 minutes, and a majority of the film must be in Spanish.
- Attend the summer 2019 filmmaking program at USC Cinematic Arts in Los Angeles, including tuition, roundtrip air, housing and daily stipend.
- Winning film will air on DIRECTV in Latin America
- Meeting with CAA agent
BEST SHORT FILM: SHOT ON MOBILE
Awarded to the top short film shot on smartphone, tablet, or drone. Advances in mobile video technology has made filmmaking more accessible and affordable for aspiring creators. We are encouraging filmmakers to share their short films shot using mobile video technologies.
Winner - $5,000 USD
BEST VR/AR/MR PROJECT
We are honoring the project that best demonstrates the convergence of entertainment and technology utilizing Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality or Mixed Reality. Entrants must submit a link to a 360 version of their project, or a 2D playthrough via an external site. Projects must not exceed a total viewing time of 15 minutes.
Winner - $5,000 USD
- There is no fee to enter
- Contest is open to entrants who are legal residents of the United States and Puerto Rico
- Submissions will be accepted through December 7, 2018 at 11:59pm PST or once 1,000 submissions are received, whichever comes first
- Age Requirement for Emerging Filmmaker, Underrepresented Filmmaker, Spanish Language Filmmaker, Shot on Mobile, and VR/AR/MR categories: entrants must be at least 18 at time of entry (except Alabama & Nebraska residents must be at least 19 years old at time of entry and Mississippi residents must be at least 21 years old at time of entry)
- Age Requirement for Youth Filmmaker Category: Entrants must be at least 13 years old and not older than 18 years old at time of entry
- Submitted films must have been completed after September 1, 2016 to be eligible
- Genres: we are seeking films in action/adventure, comedy, documentary, drama, experimental, horror, sci-fi, and thriller
- Supported video filetypes: .mp4 and .mov
- Only original works are accepted. Submitting parties must hold complete ownership and rights of submitted product
- All awarded prizes will be provided to the individual, eligible submitter
View Official Rules for complete list of entry requirements.
- Submissions Open: August 29, 2018
- Submissions Closed: December 7, 2018
- Finalists Notified: by January 9, 2019
- Winners Announcement: by January 25, 2019